CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Forbidden

Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.



I can't write a real review for this.  I don't think I ever kidded myself that I could.  The books that do this to me, the ones that end with me bent over the pages and sobbing, are never ones that I can review logically, critically.   I know this book isn't perfect.  It isn't even all that close to perfect.  But in the end, that doesn't matter; not to me.

When I rate a book, I don't rate it on its literary merit.  There are some books that might have beautiful writing and unique, ridiculously intricate plots that I will rate lower than a book with too many ellipses and awkward dashes and often stilted dialogue because I rate based upon my experience with the book.  And based upon my experience with this book, I give it a million stars.

A lot of people won't be able to handle this.  If the subject disturbs you, if you can't handle your books dark, don't read it.  The pitch never tried to fool you.  It tells you right from the start what you are going to find in here, and if you can't handle that, if that disgusts you, don't bother picking up the book.

Tabitha Suzuma handles this topic better than any author I've ever seen.  Her writing isn't flawless and her plotting isn't flawless but she wields emotion like a sword.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go sit in my room and cry.

0 comments:

Post a Comment