CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Disenchantments

Publisher: Penguin (Dutton)
Pages: 307

Publication Date: February 16, 2012
Type: Hardcover, bought
 

Colby and Bev have a long-standing pact: graduate, hit the road with Bev's band, and then spend the year wandering around Europe. But moments after the tour kicks off, Bev makes a shocking announcement: she's abandoning their plans - and Colby - to start college in the fall.

But the show must go on and The Disenchantments weave through the Pacific Northwest, playing in small towns and dingy venues, while roadie- Colby struggles to deal with Bev's already-growing distance and the most important question of all: what's next?

Morris Award–finalist Nina LaCour draws together the beauty and influences of music and art to brilliantly capture a group of friends on the brink of the rest of their lives.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I could say something deep. Something about love and epiphanies and  growing up and being a teenager on the brink of everything just wondering what the fuck you're going to do with this whole entire life.  

But I don't want to say that.  Here's what I want to say:

Nina LaCour has the most honest writing I've ever read.


12 comments:

Sam (Realm of Fiction)

I haven't read anything by Nina LaCour before, but I have heard good things. I'm curious about this book now after your 5 stars!

Mia

I want this book nooooow. I've been wanting it for months now but my B&N NEVER HAS IT. It has the worst selection ever, I swear.

Though your review is short, is says so much about the book. Because if a book leaves you that speechless, it's more than just good.

It's life-changing.

Amy

Love this review!! Short and to the point!! Fantastic!!

Meagan

Honest is such a good way to describe her books. They're so rich and realistic and she knows her characters so well. I wish she was a factory.

The Hipster Owl's Bookshelf

Hello girlie!

Ran across your blog recently. The layout is as cute as a button. Oh wait...the background DOES have buttons..mmm


Anyways, your bio says that you want to work at B&N when you turn 16. It's funny, because I currently work there myself. It's a lot of work, and it's much more intricate than most people would imagine, but since I love books, I love it. Even when the manager is stressed out, I always have a cute book cover to look forward to. :))

p.s. Keep up your writing! :)

Sarah (The Book Life)

I love this review. Straight to the point and so right on. And I love this book, so I'm really glad you enjoyed it, too :0)

Wendy Darling
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy Darling

Wow, 5 stars?! I have been wanting to read this for awhile, but it seems it needs to be bumped up the TBR pile after seeing this review! Nicely reviewed, Lexie. :)

Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

Maji Bookshelf

hmm I know many people were let down by this novel but after you 5 star review, I will check it out!

- Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

Traci @ The Reading Geek

Great review! I love that it's short and got right to the point. You've definitely convinced me to read this one now. I was curious about it because I thought it sounded really good but I was still hesistant about buying it. Definitely reading this one soon now!

Red

Hey! I don't know if you'll remember me, but I was a Teen Inker and knew you very slightly via the forums before you decided to take a break from TI. My names were peregrinefalcon and later RedheadAtHeart. Anyway, I was stalking you like the freakoid creeper I am, because I recently reread the first three chapters of Don't Need Anyone on TI again and wanted to read the rest. Inkpop/figment/googling your screenname thereof led me here. If you can point me to a place where I can read Anyone in full again, I'd love that. Thanks!

Wendy Darling

Wow, 5 stars Lexie! That's awesome. I need to bump this one up the TBR shelf. Great review!

Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

Post a Comment